An RAF strike on the Islamic State group has caused a civilian casualty, the Ministry of Defence has admitted for the first time.
It says a Reaper drone fired on an IS vehicle in eastern Syria on 26 March this year, "unintentionally" killing a civilian on a motorbike when he crossed the target area at the last minute.
In a statement issued after the attack, the MoD had said the Reaper drone "tracked a group of terrorists in a vehicle in the Syrian Euphrates valley... and successfully destroyed it and its occupants with a precision Hellfire missile attack".
Up until now, the MoD said it had seen "no evidence" that its strikes had caused civilian casualties.
But on Monday a BBC investigation suggested other civilians may have been killed as a result of RAF air strikes.
A source inside the coalition fighting IS highlighted a strike on 9 January last year in Mosul, Iraq, when an RAF Tornado fired a Brimstone missile on what was described as a "lorry bomb" in eastern Mosul.
It caused a large secondary explosion and the source said he believed two civilians were "almost certainly" killed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43977394